Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
Sometimes it's Savoy Truffle, sometimes it's Crunchy Frog.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

20090209 Ski Brossard


Cross-country skiing in Brossard's Centre de Plein Air de Brossard. After the rain and above zero C temps we had, conditions were of hardened snow. Not ideal conditions. In groomed paths, the sides of the grooves are so hard that they use the skis and boots more than in fresh fallen snow. The Centre de Plein Air has paths in young woods and open areas like this one. When I got there, I decided to go out of the paths and just anywhere in the fields and I found that that was the best place to go. Usually, one cannot go in the fields because you dig too deep in the snow, but today the snow had hardened so much it supported me most of the time. Not so much when there were low plants because that rendered the snow more porous, but when there were none it supported me ok. I guess in a harvested cultivated field is the best because then there are no wild plants to make the snow porous and so it stays harder that way. Skiing out of the groomed paths is better for the skis as there are no groove sides to use them prematurely. Last year we had the best cross-country skiing conditions as far back as we could remember. This year does'nt look so good.

1 comment:

Micheline said...

My cat Mitts has the same problems with porous snow:))

My Blog List

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed