Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
Sometimes it's Savoy Truffle, sometimes it's Crunchy Frog.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

8mm Films to VHS vs to DVD comparison



About 20 years ago, my father had put his old 8mm movies transfered to VHS tape. I never liked the quality of that. There was this yellow bloom all over the images and they never quite lived up to the quality of what I remembered seeing projected on the screen from the original film reels. Lately, I took the tapes and had them transefered to DVD. The difference in quality is stunning. Have a look for yourself (it's much better than you see here of the computer screen filmed with my camera, not a dedicated digital film recorder by any mesure). What you hear is a recording of a comments track of my mom I overdubbed on the early 8mm to VHS to DVD I made before she passed away. I'm using that as a commentaries track for the DVD but since the VHS ran at a slightly different speed than the new DVD (slightly slower, that's why you see me pause the DVD twice so the VHS catches up to it), it's work to have the audio synch with the DVD image.

No comments:

My Blog List

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed