Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
Sometimes it's Savoy Truffle, sometimes it's Crunchy Frog.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

20090320 Pine Siskin aka Tarin des pins


Got a great surprise today: this bird feeder has been hung here since last summer but I never got any visitors until today. First arrivers in spring look for feeding spots, so that is not surprising that they didn't find my feeder until now. And the surprise was double: while trying to confirm that this is a female Finch or Redpoll, I found that it is actually the Pine Siskin (aka Chardonneret des Pins aka Tarin des Pins aka Carduelis pinus), a specie I had not seen before anywhere! Nice!
I'm seeing many more migratory birds arriving, such as turtledoves, killdeers and even a hawk.
Also: Today and yesterday the hovercraft came on the river to break up the ice right up to just a short distance upriver from the marina. This is much earlier than last year when this was done on the 9th of April. See http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=236711&id=739480474&l=6a98a47ed8

54 km bike ride today, while listening to some Prince (did I say I am very eclectic?). One unusual sight: Two young men pulled up beside me while I was riding for a short chat. One had an opened beer bottle in his hands.... not very reassuring but what the hell, even me and my dad used to do this years ago before it was illegal. As long as you don't get drunk doing that. But they did seem like the rowdy type and one later did scream incomprehensively to me as they passed me again. I presume he was only jesting.

No comments:

My Blog List

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed