Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
Sometimes it's Savoy Truffle, sometimes it's Crunchy Frog.

Monday, November 2, 2009

20091101 Saint-François-du-Lac municipal elections


20091101. Municipal elections in Saint-François-du-Lac, as everywhere in Quebec today. In the voting booth, this is how it looked. My voting poll was #5. So I expected to get at most to vote for the mayor and for who represents my district (#5), just like it happened to Ginette in Brossard earlier in the day. But when it was my turn to vote, they handed me a pile of voting slips. I unrolled them all in the booth and understood that I had to vote for a representative in each and every district, along with the mayor! That's why it took so long for people to vote and that the line was not advancing very fast!
Now, if you look very carefully, there was 3 candidates for mayor. The incumbent on the left, and two ex-SFdL mayors. The funny thing is that, on the mayor voting slip there are 3 choices, but on the representatives' slips there are only 2. That's because the candidates Yvan L'Heureux has the same representatives as Jaques Gill! Only #5 & #6 are missing from his list. (In an ad from the local hebdo L'Annonceur of 20091021, Jacques Gill proposes both Nathalie Desmarais and Julie Bouchard for #6!) Why bother to split the vote if you want the same people with you? Don't these representatives have a say in who they back as mayor? I guess that's how loose and blurry things get in small towns.... I think Nathalie Demarais (district #6), who owns a beauty salon and who's roosters, hens and rabbits sometimes visit my back yard, will have some explaining for me!
Who won? Info below.
http://www.lecourriersud.com/article-i396270-Les-resultats-du-vote.html
Saint-François-du-Lac
Maire: Georgette Critchley (62,6% des votes)
Conseiller 1: Jean-Louis Lambert (74% des votes)
Conseiller 2: Jean Duhaime (60,3% des votes)
Conseiller 3: Yves Plante (59,8% des votes)
Conseiller 4: Daniel Labbé (70,5% des votes)
Conseiller 5: Réjean Gamelin (75,1% des votes)
Conseiller 6: Julie Bouchard (67,7% des votes)

No comments:

Blog Archive

My Blog List

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed